Monday, July 16, 2007

$100 Computers

I just read where Intel and OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) are giving the opportunity to purchase $100 computers to other countries. I am confused as to why large corporations would prefer to give other countries computers for their children's use vs. providing our nation's children with the same opportunity first. Why is it not possible to get our students up-to-speed with the technological advances where we have classrooms that are available to them to be taught. Most classrooms in the US have one, or maybe a few more, computers within the classroom and some even have Computer Labs that are utilized weekly to teach basic skills to the children. Why not provide our children the opportunity to have a $100 computer first so our children can be prepared to support our nation; after all, they are our FUTURE! Don't get me wrong, I do feel that all children should have the same opportunities but first I think we should take care of our own and then help those on outside next so we can help and teach them what we already know. We are selling out our own children for the sake of being humanitarians to others. Please let us remember that "it takes a village to raise a child" and in this case, "it takes a nation to better our futures and our children's futures."

4 comments:

Gladys said...

Interesting! Could it be that Intel and OLPC would rather NOT know just how far behind the children here are in technology and are avoiding finding out by sending computers to other countries. There's no doubt that it makes them look good in the short run but I agree with you that the children here are being hurt in the long run.

Amber said...

I totally agree. When I was in school I always had to wait for the kid in front of me to get done with whatever he or she was doing before I could get on the computer. It was always a hassle, since I never seemed to be able to get my turn. Now, if we would have been able to receive $100 computers then, it definately would have been more accommodating to both me and my classmates. I agree that these kids are our future and whatever we as parents, mentors, and teachers do now for them will only make the outcome of our future a more pleasing one.

Dawn said...

Giving $100 basic computers to schools with internet access would greatly benefit so many children in the United States. People don't realize how many students do not have access at home. One week at school for 30-45 minutes is not enough to prepare them for tomorrow's world. Our children in the US need to be learning skills to help them complete their assignments more efficiently and productively--not playing games on a computer! Their working world will be so much more advanced than we can ever imagine. With the tougher standards in Michigan for high school graduation, the dropout rate might increase greatly. The younger they have computer proficiency, the more likely they may be able to secure some type of job. All children can learn how to use a computer--some just better than others.

Peggy said...

While I was getting my masters degree, I was amazed at how many of the teachers in our cohort said that computer access for their students was a problem. Seems to me that with the new state requirement that students in high school must have some kind of online class that we would want get computers in the hands of as many children as possible, as early as possible. We really do need to take a serious look at the education system of our own children and when "we leave no child behind" then we can start worrying about the rest of the world.